The Power of Faith and Social Media

I am blown away.

As is this hospital I lay in. :)

We almost lost our twins 72 hours ago. At any time things could change. I realize this. There are massive risks, huge hurdles to overcome. And we may not.

But that’s ok.

Our choice to fight and not induce at 18.5 weeks or any other time (unless I am in imminent danger or go into labor) is just that – a choice. And for the past 3 days, we continually had to fight for that choice. Over and over, shift after shift. Dr. after Dr. It was so hard to keep our spirits up only to be told every few hours how slim our chances are. We knew – but honestly we made a choice and wanted to stand firm in our decision.

Unless I was sick. Unless the babies died. Unless I went into labor. We wanted to fight for them. It’s all I can do. I have to.

Deep down, this isn’t about pro life or pro choice. Not really, although I know where I stand. But I also stand for every woman that walks in the doors of a hospital to have the SAME rights and treatment we expected. Regardless of what her decision is. To be treated as a valuable patient, to be cared for and talked to as a person with rights.

It was about being respected for the wishes and desires we had. Whatever they were. However crazy they seemed. As long as we weren’t doing anything illegal or putting ourselves into immediate harm, we simply wanted to be given the respect of having our choice to fight as long as we could for these two to be respected.

Today that happened. It was amazing. It has been a total change here, and we are so thankful to all of you. The calls, emails, texts, prayers, the facebook page that was started to update, etc – both to me and the hospital. (Maybe not so much prayers to them but… :) ) They are appreciated. Even if you just read and prayed – the power of that! You can’t imagine. Every bit of anything has helped.

This has been, hands down, the hardest 3 days of my life. My world hangs in the balance of an unknown and there are no guarantees. I’ve never known what faith in God truly meant until I laid here, unable to control or dictate anything, and simply give my boys into His hands. Completely. What a humbling experience. I can do nothing but eat, pray, and love. Literally.

And tweet.

Thank you. From Sam and I and my family. From Bella. From our boys. No matter how this turns out, no matter what the outcome today, tomorrow, weeks from now, I can look at them and know that everything was done to get them to wherever they are at that point. And know that you all did that – you changed our lives and theirs forever. No matter what.

Even if they never live to hear about this, their lives are already such an amazing part of our story. We will never forget today.

Thank you.

Sam, Diana, Bella, Preston William (BO), and Julian Toby (GO)

Comments

1. YOU ARE SO LOVED. We will fight for you. We will rally for you. You are being prayed for you. You are amazingly strong and I am so proud to know you. I am going to see you at Christmas and squish you and all your babies so hard. xoxoxoxoxo

2. Love you, roomie!

3. I am so sorry that you’re going through this, truly. I’ve been following along on twitter outraged at how terrible the doctors were treating you. And so when I started seeing the posts and tweets and RTs I started to think well maybe we CAN make a change. Have the doctors treat you with the kind of respect you deserve. I hope throughout the day and the upcoming days it’ll continue to make a difference.

• Anna Waller says:

Prayers, love, PEACE sent your way. You are doing a wonderful thing by investing in these children’s futures. Whatever God’s will, know that you are loved not only by your Creator but by so many of us out here. Hoping and trusting always in the best. God bless always.

4. Continuing to pray for you all. Love the names :)

5. I have 5 children and I have never had such an experience as you and I am mortified at your tweets! I can’t believe that hospital, and the doctors! Good for you for fighting for your babies – I would too! I hope this hospital smartens up and I hope someone is held accountable for how they treated you. That is absurd.

Like I said I’ve had 5 babies and sure I’ve had a few nurses and doctors that weren’t so pleasant but your experience is truly horrid. I am keeping your family in my thoughts. I don’t pray but hope for nothing but the best outcome for you and your babies! Hang in there mama! You are doing absolutely what is right!

6. You are amazing. I know we’ve never met. I follow your blog (but don’t comment much on any blogs because I’m usually reading at work during lunch), & I follow you on twitter but I don’t recall if we’ve ever chatted. But I couldn’t sleep Friday night, and as I lay there awake I just kept thinking about you & your boys & hoping that a miracle was happening. That’s the amazing thing about the Internet! I will continue to send prayers your way. I can’t even imagine what the past few days have been like for you, but I do believe in miracles.

7. Wishing you well on your journey. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family!

8. You have an army behind you. Just remember your decisions are YOURS. The hospitals and doctors aren’t horrible people but they aren’t in your shoes right now and no one can possibly know what it’s like to make the decisions you’ve had to make and stand up for those decisions the way you have.

You’re standing up for your family.

And we’re behind you.

9. Continuing to pray for you, your boys and your family! Stay strong and fight! You’re an amazing mother with a heart of gold!

10. You are such a fighter, and I am so proud of you. I know we don’t know each other, but that’s ok, I can still be proud!! :) Proud of women for what they can do in times of crisis, when everyone around them is doubting them. And proud of this community I seem to have stumbled upon, where people are loved and supported, no matter what part of the world they come from, or what their beliefs are. It’s so true that mothers can change the world….all the best Diana! I will continue to read and pray.

11. Fight the good fight. We are behind you!

12. I have been thinking about you non-stop over the weekend, and I cannot believe how you have been treated by the hospital. In your shoes, I’d do the exact same thing. Keep fighting for yourself and those babies, and we’re behind you to lend any support we can.

13. Oh my! I was shocked reading this. I will pray, pray, pray for ya’ll (and the hospital staff). Keep staying strong!

14. Diana, I am a wounded warrior’s wife at BAMC. I have a year’s experience of advocating for my husband in military hospitals. If you need ANYTHING at all, please drop me a line. I have connections and I also have resources that can help you get transferred to a civilian hospital if you need that and your body and the babies can withstand that. Feel free to look me up on FB using my email address.

15. I started following you at the beginning of this pregnancy. I’ve prayed for you all the way through, from morning sickness battles to the announcement of your twins.

I’m so sorry for the battle you are facing right now, but I am so thankful for the fighting spirit that you have and the faith that you have displayed. I will continue to pray for you, your family, and your precious boys.

16. I have been thinking of you & your family since I read the first tweet about your situation. Our family is praying for you & yours. You are amazing & I hope you continue to lean on God during this most difficult time. HE is holding you and those little boys in the palm of his hands and will be with you every step of the way. TRUST in the miracles only HE can provide. No matter what! Try to remain hopeful & positive and when you can’t, know that there are many, many people praying for you and sending you our strength and our will to help you get through this. Peace, love, & cyber hugs!!

17. I am so proud of you for fighting for your boys and your beliefs. You have a tribe of people rooting for you. We will all be here for you and stand with you as you walk this path.

Love to you all.

18. I’m reading and tweeting and facebooking and all of those things….but really I’m sending good vibes and heathy thoughts your way. Your strength and determination are incredible, and I’m praying for a healthy outcome.

19. i will keep you in my prayers!

20. You are a courageous fighter and I’ll be hoping your boys inherited those traits from you. Hang on, sweet babies!

21. I just found out about what you are going through and my prayers are with you and your family. The power of social media is amazing, as can be seen by what has transpired just in a matter of hours.

22. I’m a mother of twin boys (3-yrs old last week) and I went through some scary moments during my pregnancy. I had never heard of you before Friday night but you have been in my prayers ever since. I will keep praying, you keep the positive thoughts and I hope the negativity around you decreases.

23. Great. Now I’m crying. But happy tears. You are in such a good place right now, mentally and spiritually. Now, let’s just get that body to catch up as well. Still praying for you!

24. Hi, I found your website by way of Sorta Crunchy on FB. I just wanted to share that my water broke at 14 weeks (diagnosed at 16w) and I made the same decision you did–to hang on. I had my son at 30 weeks after spontaneously going into labor, he was born weighing 2.5 lbs and spent 75 days in the NICU. Right now I’m sitting here looking at a wild little 2 year old. pPROM is a terrible, terrible thing but I can promise you that no matter what the outcome may be–you’ll never regret fighting for your babies. Stay strong mama & listen to your heart, not all of the negative doctors.

25. Oh goodness, tears in my eyes. I’m so happy for all the support you’re being given. I’m also you’re biggest admirer. I respect you so so much for sticking by what you believe. Many people would cave with the pressure of giving up and hearing over and over again that there is no hope. You were strong enough to lead your own way and have faith to hold on for your babies. Seriously, biggest fan. You are amazing!

26. Tricia Rathgeber says:

Your family will continue to remain in our hearts, thoughts and on our congregations prayer list. You are loved!

27. Your faith is astounding. You are an inspiration, Diana. I am so glad I had the opportunity to meet you in person at Blissdom. Y’all are constantly in my thoughts & prayers.

28. I’m thinking about you constantly. Keep up the good work, mama!

29. Lindsay @lilloveandluck says:

Beautiful souls, all five of you. You are all an example of the true meaning of family.

I love their names and that you decided to share them. We’re all here to be your cheerleaders and your army.

30. You have me in tears. What a lovely message! I’m so pleased to hear about the outpouring of support.
    I think that this is US thanking YOU for years of sharing your heart with us, your challenges and successes, for taking the risk of letting us in. Your years of opening yourself up have cultivated the network you’re seeing now, and we will be with you, thinking of you and praying for you, through whatever comes in the future.
    Thank you also for sharing the beautiful names you’ve selected for your boys. I interpret this action to be a sort of ‘thank you’ for the support you’re receiving, but for me at least it’s very powerful to have been let in on your family’s name choices.
    Your strength and determination are an inspiration to us all.

31. Diana, I totally missed all of this unfolding this weekend and I am SOOO sorry you’ve gone through all of this. Prayers for you and those sweet babies!!!!!!!!

32. Thea Nelson says:

Praying, praying, praying!!! Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the Lord our God!

33. Your family is in my thoughts! <3

34. Sending so many prayers and well wishes your way. Miracles do happen, and I hope your family gets one!

35. I am continuing to pray for you, your family and those blessed babies. Stay strong and remember that we are all pulling for you!

36. I have been thinking about you and your family since I found out 3 days ago…I have been keep you all in my thoughts and prayers…I was so blessed to find your website when I was searching info about twin pregnancy….Your so inspirational…even now facing what your facing you have such strength and determination…I will keep you all in my prayers…God Bless you and your family…

37. Incredibly moved by your choice and beliefs. Hang in there…you are in my thoughts and prayers!!

38. Incredible. You are a force to be reckoned with. I cannot and will not stop thinking about you!

39. I just have no words for how you have been treated. I have been thinking of you daily, and sending all my good vibes your way! :)

40. Continually in prayer for you, dear. God is using you, Preston, and Julian. He has His hand in this. Our human minds may not understand, and His ways are not our ways, but He holds you in the palm of His hand. Stay strong.

41. Thinking about you. and so many positive thoughts and prayers for you all. xo

42. Carrie Konig says:

I lost my baby girl at 22wks 4days. She would be 2yrs old on Wed. the dr who delivered her was horrible & cruel & cold. I am so sorry you are in this place right now, but I am amazed at your strength & fight! I am praying for you! your boys are so blessed to have you as their mommy!!

43. charlotte says:

Just saw on Babble today what the hospital put you through. Unbelievable. Will be sending lots of strength vibes your and your babies’ way and will say a prayer that everything turns out well.

44. Diana, I had no idea what was going on, I was kinda disconnected this weekend. I am so sorry for you and I am praying for you and the boys.

45. It is your body, your babies, your choice. I believe that the hospital has absolutely no right to make a decision like this. Thank God they have let you continue on with your pregnancy. You CAN do this. <3

46. I’m following you via Twitter (though I don’t even have one) and am hoping this all works out for you & your family! I can’t believe the Dr’s are discouraging you to stay put– their focus should be on the health of you and the babies, not the cost of a bed. That’s what insurance is for. Anyway, though I’m not religious in the least bit I do agree with what you’re doing. I don’t think wanting to save the babies you’ve been carrying is a religious or impractical decision. Any mother would do the same. Stay strong and keep us updated, you are in all of our hearts!!

47. Sweet Diana, we are in your corner. This online community is lifting you and each of your family up. We’re praying for those dang doctors too – that their vision would be unclouded, that an advocate for YOU and BoGo would emerge, that the health of you and those babes would be #1 to them. Sending big hugs and good thoughts from Minnesota…

48. I am saying a prayer for you all. I had a very hard pregnancy and lost one of my identical triplets late 2nd trimester. I was instructed at my first OB visit, that I should consider selective reduction. We didn’t and I have no regrets. I placed my faith in someone other than my doctor.

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

Jeremiah 29:11

49. My heart breaks for you. I lost twins early on (about 9 weeks) and to hear your story just makes me so angry. It’s about time they’ve started treating you with respect.

I have a good friend who nearly lost a baby when her water broke at around 20 weeks, and she ended up having a procedure done at the Mayo clinic to replace her amniotic fluid and close the hole in her uterus. If you’d be interested in talking to her, let me know and I will give you her contact information.

I’ll be praying for you, your family, and your precious babies. (And any doctors silly enough to not know the power of social media.)

50. Diana read about you and your boys on twitter and have you in my thoughts and prayers ever since. You sit tight as I said before via twitter I have a friend that did the same thing she told the doctors she wasn’t budging until her daughter was born and her daughter is now 5 happy healthy and strong. Praying that God down his blessings on you.
    triple ((hugs)) one for you and your husband and daughter and one for each boy.

51. Aah! You told us their names! So beautiful. I pray every day. I can’t stop thinking about you all.

52. I am so moved by your story. I don’t know what I would do in your place but I know that I would want whatever choice I made to be embraced and supported. You and your family will be in my prayers. I will hope for the best but I know that whatever the outcome, you will be carried on the wings of angels and prayers.

All my best,
    Traci

53. I hope you keep your chin up!!! Dont allow those doctors too push you around!!! Those babies need a chance, I have been in a hospital that did everything for me to try and help me keep my pregnancy going, nothing worked, I buried my son the following week. Its hard but get some rest and try 2 relax, thats all you can do, but I would deffinately be filing a Malpractice Suit agianst them for not even trying to make you comfortable! Thats just plain wrong even if they dont agree with your views on the subject! But hold in there and if you need some1 to talk too just find me on Facebook Crystal Dann :) Keep your chip up momma!!!!!

54. Heather Guymon says:

Bless you and those precious babies. Miracles DO happen and through your faith and the prayers of those around you, these babies have a chance at life! You are giving them that chance, and for that, you are amazing! Love and prayers being sent your way.

55. I really wish our voices could have been there, amplifying yours in what must have come to feel like a sinister hospital room.

I applaud your courage and your strength, but more than that, I hope for this story to continue to write itself in ways that allows us to celebrate on all fronts.

Thinking fo you all and sending love.

56. I’m not sure where I stand on religion, but I know what I do believe: I believe in being positive and I believe that a woman has a right to decide what can and cannot happen in her uterus–especially when her babies are involved. So I am sending you love, positivity and hope. Thinking good thoughts for you, your babies, your family and all involved. Follow your heart, mama!

57. Bless you and bless your sweet boys. I heard about your story via the bump and my multiples group. Know that so many people are praying for you and your boys. Social media is truly incredible to get this story out so we can lift you up in prayer when you need prayer the most.

I’m a twin momma too. I’m so happy your hospital snapped to and started respecting your wishes. Fight Momma! You’re beautiful and incredibly strong.

Much love and many prayers to you.

58. I’m 26 and I have identical twin girls 4 months old. From day one with our twins they told us everything that could possibly go wrong with our girls. They made us afraid for every reason that our girls were not safe! It was extremely frustrating and scaring. It pulled my partner and I closer together and also further apart. In the end I had 2 healthy girls at 37 weeks vaginal delivery with no complications. I never listened to the doctors advice and did what felt best for myself, my babies, and partner instead. LISTEN TO YOUR BODY. Doctors are there to tell you the worse case situation and to make money. I am grateful for their help bringing my girls into this world healthy but really MY BODY DID ALL THE WORK, MY BABIES DID ALL THE WORK, MY PARTNER DID ALL THE WORK. Stay strong. It is all apart of your life, your journey, ride this wave with grace.

59. Add me to the list of many who are praying for you and your family. Where there’s life there is hope. Blessings to you and yours in the coming days. God can and does work miracles.

60. Never underestimate the power of a pissed off mama, and all her equally pissed off friends :) Thinking of you and those boys constantly. So proud of you.

61. I am so sorry, Diana. For the fight you’ve had to go through, the loss you have experienced, and the grief you now have to endure. My thoughts are with you.

62. Keep fighting. We are all in your corner

63. Hang in there, Mama! I’m outraged by the hospital’s behaviour & inspired by your courage and strength.

64. Stephanie says:

Good luck to you. You’ve an uphill battle to fight, but we’re all hoping you win. Choice goes both ways-shame on the hospital for not respecting yours.

65. Life As Wife says:

Im so upset for you! I can’t believe a doctor would treat you the way you have been treated!

I’ll be thinking of your family, you and your boys!! Fight on!!

66. Praying for you! Hang in there and be strong!

67. Love you and that fighting Mama Bear spirit of yours!! You guys are so incredibly strong and inspiring!! Prayers to continue until those boys are brought safely into this world!

BTW…gotta LOVE the power of prayer and the power of bloggers!! We are one hell of a community, aren’t we?

68. Amanda miller says:

As a mother and a mother who lost two boys (17 weeks 6 days &19 weeks 6 days) I say FIGHT FigHT FiGHT!!!! I know how hard it is to loose two babies, ours were at separate times but I want to advise you and support you into fighting! That’s insane of your drs. my boys passed away and I had to be induced so I was in a different situation but I wanted to let you know I am praying for you, your husband, daughter, the boys, the drs, and the rest of your family! Good luck and never give up! I have a 1 year old daughter to prove it!

69. I could not be happier to hear this. That they are finally honoring your wishes and respecting your decisions for your family. I remember when hospitalized with my triplets, in the weeks before we hit the 24 week mark, how often doctors and residents would come in and inform me of the grim statistics and how the odds were against us. We slowly found our voices and banned more than one medical professional from entering my hospital room. You don’t need statistics you need HOPE. Sending you every bit of hope I have.

70. I wanted to let you know you have my SUPPORT, PRAYERS, and WELL WISHES! I am so very sorry the hospital treated you and your babies the way they did… it is so wrong of them to do so. They should have taken every step (in the beginning) to care for you and your babies. I am happy that they are now…. but they should have done so RIGHT AWAY. Hugs to you and your precious family…… and to the sweet little twins…. HANG IN THERE! Don’t be in such a rush to enter the world! So many people are rooting for you both!!!!!!

71. Praying for you! I can’t believe a hospital whose job it is to help patients would act so callous towards a mom.

72. Fight, girl, Fight! We’ve been praying non-stop. Also? Love you with everything we have. And those two little boys. Can’t wait to meet them!

73. I saw a little about this on twitter but never said anything because I don’t “know” you but I have been thinking about you & your family. My thoughts & prayers are with you. I wish you all the best.

74. Diana, you and your family are in my thoughts. I am so sorry you are going thru this. Not the same thing, but I had to have emergency surgery at 33 weeks pregnant and one of the hardest things was watching my two-year-old daughter process it. I had never been apart from her as long as I was while in the hospital and when I came home on bed rest it was difficult for her to understand why I couldn’t do things for her. But we all came through it just fine and now she is better at being separated from me and enjoys when others care for her from time to time. I just know how bonded you and Bella are and I don’t want you to have to worry about that too. In my experience, my separation anxiety to the extreme daughter has no lasting effects except for pointing at the hospital when we drive by and saying “mommy doctor.” I’m sending all my eyelash and dandelion-blowing wishes to you and your babies for the best possible outcome.

75. Caroline says:

Someone sent me this blog. My water broke with my baby boy at 17+5 weeks. I was also pushed to induce with no hope. I am now 25+4 weeks in the hospital and still going! I started a blog days after my PPROM so if you wanted to read another’s experience you can find it at http://connercombs.blogspot.com/ .

Continue to pray and hope for your babies. The first two weeks were the hardest for me! Prayers from North Carolina.

76. Thinking of you mama! So glad the hospital is finally doing its job and supporting your choice. Praying for those sweet babies of yours.

77. I get goosebumps every time I think about all the love and support you’re getting through social media and the power of prayer. Goosebumps and tears. You’re such an inspiration and I don’t say that lightly. I’m in awe of you, lady. Thoughts and prayers for you, your boys and your whole family.

78. I am the mom of a former 24 weeker who is now 7 years old. I a, also a NICU volunteer. I help families through their NICU journeys, when their babies are born prematurely. Last September, I met a mom who had delivered at 28 weeks. The most remarkable thing was that her water had broken at 18 weeks. She spent 10 weeks on bedrest, and then went into labor. It was a long road for her, and a long road for her miracle baby, but he is now almost 8 months old. Hang in there, Diana! There is ALWAYS hope!

79. I’m so glad things have started to turn around for you, Diana! We’re still praying for you all- hang in there, mama!

80. So happy to hear this. Thinking of you and keeping your family in my prayers.

81. Every minute is a miracle, and every second of life a gift. Your family is in my thoughts and prayers, and my family is sending lots of love and lots of hope your way.

82. I saw your story on Facebook and it really touched me. Sending prayers your way! Keep fighting!

83. Christina Briggs says:

I don’t think there is a day or time stamp on when you should do everything in your power to protect your children! BRAVO! Hope for the best for you and your family!

84. <3 nothing else needs to be said.

85. Praying for you, wanting to remind you, you’ve got an army here. My sac protruded (sounds awful, I”m sorry) at 17 wks. I was given 50 50 chance of baby making it. With tilted bedrest we made it to 31 wks. That baby is now 15 years old.

HANG TIGHT, Mama!!!!!!!!

Half this battle is mental. You can do it.

86. thinking of you and your family. i hope you get all the care and support you need and always know you have support online :)

87. Just want to send you some encouragement. My water started to leak around 22 weeks (so slowly I didn’t think anything of it) and truly gushed at around 24. I had my son at 25 weeks, 2 days. He weighed 2 lbs, and he was in the NICU for 116 das, but today he’s a healthy, happy 14 month old baby with no serious issues. I know how scary this is, but try to keep calm as much as possible. Miracles do happen.

88. I”m a labor&delivery/high risk OB nurse who heard about your story. I want to tell you that I think you are absolutely doing the right thing, and it’s exactly what I would do in your situation.
    The hospital I work at encourages moms like you to continue the fight, provided the babies (or at least one baby) has a heartbeat and mom isn’t infected or goes into labor on her own.
    I’ve seen both outcomes, but it’s the potential for the good outcome that makes it worth the fight.
    I’ll be praying for you!

89. Diana ~ I just heard your story for the first time. AMAZING! I connect with you on so many levels, it’s only God who could have brought us together. You see, I have 4 children, 3 with special needs, and my 3rd & 4th are twin boys!! My heart goes out to you & you have just been added to my prayers along with those precious babies. Remember, He knew all of us in our mother’s womb before He formed us… He knows your little men right now. Stay at peace. Rest. I know… easier said than done. It’s a blessing to hear they are finally turning things around for you & treating you like a human being. Those babies (and you) are worth far more than the value they have placed on them. (I write this with tears in my eyes knowing your emotions of finding out it’s twins, not knowing the future, and fully trusting God that He has your little ones in His hands!) May God bless your family RICHLY!

90. Thinking of you! Love the boys names too. Hang in there!

91. Barnmaven says:

Diana, you and your family continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. For an informed patient’s wishes to be so disregarded by the doctors and staff is outrageous, and I am beyond delighted you are finally getting the support you need in your fight for your boys. Your grace in understanding the need to surrender to the uncontrollable nature of your circumstances is really striking, and I will pray that you continue to know as much peace as possible as you wait out these difficult days.

92. I just heard about your story. Wishing you all the best. I’m a mom of 16 month old twin girls. My heart goes out to you.

cherrypietwins.blogspot.com

93. Like a few moms out there I didn’t sleep Friday, worried about the babies I’d only knew online. I love seeing the support for family & wish you the best.

94. Cassie D says:

As a mother who has lost two babies now at 18 weeks I wish you guys the best. Keep fighting. My first loss happened when my water broke early, the doctors didn’t believe my water broke (thought it was pee) and just sent me home. 5 days later l could feel the umbilical cord hanging down… so scary. I am glad to hear that they are monitoring you, and I pray for you guys and hope that they continue to monitor you throughout the next however many weeks you need to wait until they are ready to join your family out in the world. Praying for you and the doctors, and so glad to hear they are taking care of you.

95. You know I am praying.

And now everyone who is friends with me on fb is apparently praying too. I have gotten messages to keep sharing links and updates.

See? Even Christ is tech-savvy. He uses everything for His Plan.

96. Praying for you and your babies!!!!!!

97. Thinking about you and sending love and prayers. xo

98. Chriss Stump says:

I HAD THE SAME THING! I’m sure there will be tons of stories that sympathize with you. At 9 weeks I was told I was having identical twins at 15 weeks I started bleeding & 15 minutes later my water broke. At the hospital after demanding a scan (so sorry to the hospital that is a bother to do on a weekend afternoon. I was told “it’ll be a wait, we’ll have to bother someone on their day off”. What?!). I was told baby b was dead and all I could do was go home and pray. 2 days later on Monday morning, dice I was before 20 weeks I only get office hours attention! Only 1 heartbeat could be seen but twitching from the other. This would start 17 weeks of “no heart beat but you don’t twitch unless you’re alive!”. I spent the next 17 weeks on my bad. 8 of which were spent bleeding so heavily I felt I might die myself. 33% chance of survival we were given and I sit here reading your story as I listen to my baby declared dead giggling with her identical twin sister in their cribs when their silly butts should be asleep!

Does that mean baby B (my Catalina) doesn’t have a difficult road ahead of her? No. She’s a fighter. 2 weeks it took for her sac to heal & refill. TTTS left her small & frail, the effects of her hardships in me still aren’t totally known but her little smile always melts my worries! (ps, what I had was called subchorionic hemorrhage)

99. Erin Kadleck says:

First of all I am praying for you! When something like this happens people say I know how you feel and try and give you a comparison story! I know exactly how you feel my twin girls sac ruptured at 18 weeks 2 days. My girls are proof there are miracles! They are now 17 months perfectly heathly babies! I would love to be able to talk with you and help you anyway I can! You can find me on Facebook Erin Kadleck I live at fort Knox ky or email me I can 150% understand every feeling you have I was in your shoes! We are praying so hard and prayer works!!

100. I am not religious but I am a woman, and a mom. I do not think I could ever give up on a child growing inside of me so I totally understand where you are coming from. It is difficult for some men to understand that metaphysical relationship a woman has with her child – it is beyond the power of any other bond on Earth. It is difficult for them to understand how difficult it would be for a mother to go on with her life afterwards if she had not given her children every chance at life possible. How could she live with herself knowing there might have been a chance her babies had lived? However small that chance may be.

101. Found your blog through someone else’s tweet and have been praying for your precious boys and you!!!! Keep hope…trust Him…and know that he already has this all figured out:)!! I had a great friend lay on bedrest for 6 weeks after her water broke at 22 weeks…her daughter was running around my husbands office on Sunday at church!!! God is the giver of life and through Him nothing is impossible!!! Praying for you and will keep following!!!

102. Susannah says:

Diana, I am so sorry to hear this. I broke down in tears reading about it last night and jut called out in prayers for you, Sam, Bella, and the boys. Their names are beautiful! Keep fighting-I know you will! I’m prayerful that they will be ok! Lots of love!

103. After five years of infertility, we conceived our daughter. She just turned 13 this past weekend. I remember so clearly that after her birth, I unclenched every muscle in my body. I realized then that I had been holding onto her with all of my might for every second of those 38 weeks.

My prayers and greatest hopes for you and your children. You have friends you have never met who understand and want the best for you.

Julie

104. Michelle G says:

I am praying for you and yours. I ran across your story on a blog I read. The power of social media is profound. I am so sorry you are having to deal with what you have but know that you have a lot of people praying for you and your family. I pray God watches over your body and allows your boys to grow stronger every second of every day. I will continue to pray and will pass your story along to others.

105. Diana you, your family, and your sweet boys are in my thoughts and prayers. I cant believe a hospital could be so negligent in the care and concern for both you and your babies. It should not be tolerated. I am so happy you stood your ground and are continuing to fight for your boys. You are a strong mama and I am so happy to have found you through blogging/social media.
    Sending so much LOVE, Courage, Strength, & HOPE your way. XOXO

106. NIKONMOM says:

I am praying for you. Praying hard. I just heard about your story, and I just want you to know there are a lot of prayers and love going out for you and your entire family, including those precious boys. Above all, trust your instincts. They have medical degrees, but God gives you a mother’s instincts. Believe in yourself and your decisions to do what is right. I pray this all turns into a wonderful story you can tell your boys someday. But either way, love and prayers.

107. Kelly Kelly says:

He led us all to you; and we are all going to see ALL of you through this; this movement of prayers is working and bringing great things :) keep loving those babies; and know that we aren’t going anywhere :)

Hugs – Kelly Kelly

108. Summer says:

I’m praying for you and your family. And believe me, your boys do know you are fighting for them! They already know they are wanted and loved, loved by so many how have never even met them. Thank you so much for standing up for your boys! In my life I have seen God do things that I never would have imagined, He is the giver of life. It’s His Nature to create and breath and love and live! I don’t even kow you but I want to tell you that I love you and your little family so much! God loves you and your boys!

109. Elizabeth says:

Diana prayers being sent to you and your family at this time.

110. Cori-Lyn says:

Sending you so many prayers- prayers for peace for you, prayers for strength for you, your families and your beautiful babies who are continuing to grow with the love that is being pored upon them. As I read your post, I got teary eyed and when my 5 year old daughter asked why, I shared part of your story with her. She immediately asked if we could say a prayer and wanted me to be sure to tell you that God is taking care of everything :). Hugs and many many prayers.

111. You were made for these times. You are the right woman carrying these children right now. There is no accidents, there is no mistake. You are where you are supposed to do.

Fuck everyone else. Fuck all the opinions. You know what you are doing. God is the ultimate pilot and you are the co-pilot. Trust yourself. Trust God.

All that you need you already have. You are already strong. You are already courageous. You are already a Mother.

You will remain in my prayers.

112. I am praying for the strength and well-being for you and our ENTIRE family. I cannot imagine how you must feel right now, but please know and believe that its no coincidence that you are a voice in a connected community. We have been destined to know, hear about and be with you with you during this time. Sending positive light your way and in intercessory prayer right now. Be well Sis, keep us posted!
    Smart & Sassy Mom AKA Sheree

113. Dear beloved family:

i looked up the email for the board of directors of this hospital and wrote this letter to encourage them to re-evaluate their policies. i hope & pray it begins a new respectful mindset to hospital policies.

Hello board of directors.

I am enclosing a link to the page of a wonderful mom who is expecting twins
    and who is now faced with the difficult possibility of loosing her little babies.
    ( and may even have lost them by now)

I am appalled that your hospital policy has impressed upon it’s doctors to feel it OK to intimidate your client who is in distress already and imply irrational judgement on her.
    I realize that you are a non-profit enterprise, and that is commendable but…is it possible that money constraints have led you to feel pressured to devalue life? This makes me wonder …would you also stoop to telling grieving children that their aging parents should be just “put down” anyway becasue of the graveness of their illness? just wondering if you have forgotten your mission? Are the doctors forgetting their promise to do no harm? I am sure you are moral and caring people who can set the record straight.
    I am looking forward to hearing a policy update and apology to this couple who have every right to struggle to keep their children and not kill them because of possible outcomes. how many others who have also been pressured in this way?
    I am delighted that this situation has been adressed, but still…it never should have happenned.
    i beseech you to consider these comments becasue they are crucial to the mission of your hospital. i sincerely, hope this will be an opportunity to reset your future goals and direction in caring for the sick. It sounds like you have a very wonderful hospital and i am sure you care deeply about this issue. i hope to hear soon what your hospital will say and do about this very significat event. – and i am confident that something good will come out of this! the Denyse-Anne Miller.

PS:
    I am inserting a partial copy of this mom’s comments and will try also to place the link that i mentioned. I hope it helps put into perspective the pressing needs of your hospital.

• Angela Welliver says:

wonderful letter…mind if I copy and paste my name into it for the hospital?

114. You can do this! Just read about your story on Chron.com. My water broke at 20 weeks and I was able to stay ruptured until 29 weeks. I leaked fluid the entire time! Doctors told me to terminate, but they don’t have the final decision. My identical twin girls are now 14! I’ve been there. God is amazing and faithful.

115. You are so brave and strong! Good for you for demanding the treatment you want. You, your children and family are in my thoughts.

116. Mary Anna says:

Hi~
    I also have twins and ruptured at 18.4 weeks. I am currently 23.6 and have completely resealed- a true miracle!! Keep strong :)

117. We went through the TTTS nightmare and I was on bed rest from 13 till 34 weeks. I went every three days to the hospital for an ultrasound and every three days we prayed to make it until the next ultrasound. I stayed on my left side and forced myself to gain 24 pounds by 24 weeks, (i was 103 pounds when I got pregnant and this was hard and I will never eat another nutrigrain bar again.) We have two healthy boys. It can work out. It is terrifying but it can work out. Ours were only six weeks early but ended up being 5 and 6 1/2 pounds and we had some health scares the first bit but it all worked out. I read so many scary stories when I was pregnant with them about TTTS that I wanted to give you hope. I went preeclampsic AFTER giving birth. I was knocked out to lower my blood pressure, I had one son on life support and the other with heart issues they were trying to diagnose, (what makes it worse is that my husband is a doc and thought he was going home alone.) One week later we were all home! You need to hear a good story and you need to think good thoughts. Make little goals and rejoice when you hit them. 24 WEEKS!!!!

118. Angie Bivens says:

I have had you and your family on my mind and in my prayers since I read your story yesterday. You are an incredibly strong and faithful mom, and I am so thankful that you are sharing your story. I too believe that God has a plan for all of us, and it is a perfect plan even if we do not see that immediately. May God bless your family through this tough time.

119. So many prayers for you! Hang in there! My husband said if the Doctors even questioned us for a second he’d “ruin that doctor’s life forever!”

He thinks your husband should be able to punch one of them. :-)

120. You are such a loving mom and all you’re doing is protecting your babies. I will keep you and the babies in my prayers.

121. Very best wishes of peace as you enjoy each moment with your precious boys. My surviving triplets were born at 24 weeks and 5 days after 1 month on hospital bed rest. I had Pre-e (severe / early onset) and HELLP. Realizing you have a wonderful network already, I just wanted to throw one more name in the hat. Please feel free to email anytime. I started my blog when I started bed rest and have kept it up for 3 years now.

122. We will be praying for you and your family. Good for you not being bullied by the doctors. For following your heart. I have heard of other cases where the woman did have success and I never dreamed that they would try to force some women to not at least try to carry her babies longer. I haven’t read your whole story yet but I hope those doctors are taking better care of you now that so many people are watching. Hopefully they were giving you IV fluids from the start. I will be following your story and I’m going to share it on my new Facebook page – Smart Strong Creative Beautiful Women – and my personal because I believe prayers have power and that you encompass all of those traits. I don’t know what God’s plan for you is but I’m sure he has an angel watching over your little ones. Patti

123. We are all praying for you and those babies. Follow your heart and your faith. I know how hard it is to put your sons in God’s hands. You have shown your strength and faith throughout this ordeal and your kids are lucky to have a mom that loves them so much and is strong enough to do this for them.

Not sure if she already found a way to get it to you, but my sister in law (Nikki) was so moved by your story she wanted to share her own journey with you in hopes it might give you some hope that faith will lead the way. So I’ll share it here, just in case you haven’t seen it. http://www.modernecolife.com/2012/05/01/from-one-mothers-heart-to-another/

My heart goes out to you. Hold on to those babies and you’ll know in your heart you have done everything for them no matter the outcome. <3

124. I’m sending all my strength your way. It is so amazing that you’re standing by your decision.

Stay strong mom!! <3

125. Bobbie says:

I am so happy to hear this update, although I am sad it had to come to this for you to be treated as you should have been. I’m not pregnant, but I’m currently going through a battle with another hospital. It’s amazing how they think it’s their Choice, even though it’s your life (and your children’s). I continue to pray that you will stay pregnant and have 2 more amazing additions to your family! Stay strong!

126. Deanna Dunlap says:

Former L&D nurse. Would you rather the doctors and nurses gave you false hope? THIS IS REAL LIFE. I think it is incredibly selfish of you to risk your own life when you have a daughter to take care of. I also think it is incredibly selfish of you to want to bring children into this world when the odds are that they will go through more pain and suffering than you can even possibly imagine. Sad situation which is made worse by you slamming the doctors and nurses who are trying to save your life.

• Angela Welliver says:

Deanna – It has been know to happen before. I know the odds are long…and it sounds like she already is too. I’m pretty sure also that’s she’s not staying in that bed and arguing with doctors for herself, so while you may not agree with her decision I don’t think it really qualifies as selfish. It’s just not what you would do. Even if the children do have issues, they still may have a purpose here. I know they may have to suffer, but so do all of us. Some people have had horrible lives…think concentration camps, terminal illness, etc. but that doesn’t mean they don’t want to have a chance at life. It is clear that you don’t agree with this, but one of the things that makes things worse is when people condemn you when you are doing the best you can and making a decision that you think is best even if others don’t agree. I’m glad you want her to take care of herself…maybe some advice on what she could do to relax would be helpful since you have medical experience? Thanks : )

127. Michelle says:

I just read your story. Being 19 weeks pregnant myself, I can imagine the worry that you and your husband are going to. It’s terrible how the hospital treated you when you told them you wanted to give your twins a choice. But am so SO praising God that you stood up for the twins and have the support of so many people praying for you. I know you don’t know me, but your story touched me, and I will be praying for you, and will be checking your blog for updates. Truly praying for your family, and that God will give you the peace that surpasses all understanding, no matter the outcome. God bless,
    Michelle

128. Michelle says:

As many are praying for you, please pray form my friend Liz. She is 19 weeks and her water broke. She is being sent home on bed rest, the doctors aren’t giving her much hope, but she is clinging to it. Knowing how she feels, if you find the time, would you spare a prayer for her!
    God bless,
    Michelle

129. Melissa says:

We don’t know one another, but we have a mutual friend who shared your situation and asked for prayers. Your story touched me so deeply because my experience was similar. At 20 weeks, the doctors became aware that something was really wrong in my pregnancy. The baby was fine but it was possible the pregnancy couldn’t sustain his life full term – and they didn’t know if it would be days or weeks. We were repeatedly told that it wasn’t too late to terminate the pregnancy (at 20 weeks!!) by different doctors, but I knew in my heart it wasn’t an option. It was harrowing, and reading what you’re going through gives me those visceral feelings all over again; the strange calm in the face of possible tragedy, the bursts of anguish about what could be, the hyper-vigilance of every feeling in my stomach, but most of all the deep faith that whatever happened, I would be alright – that love would sustain me no matter what. We had a happy ending, and I wish with all of my heart that you do too. It is my deepest and most fervent prayer that you will experience a miracle. You’re in my thoughts and prayers. <3

130. Dear Diana,

I am praying that God grants you your miracle. A little over 2 years ago, just a few days shy of 18 weeks gestation, our little boy slipped away to Heaven before we slipped into our arms for but a moment. I am praying that your babies grow bigger and stronger before you see and touch them, but I’m also praying that if they don’t get big enough or strong enough that it will still be a beautiful grace filled experience for your family and that you wont be afraid.

Love,
    Caleb’s mommy

131. I’m a Jewish hospital chaplain and doula, and I’m sending you love.

God forgive all of us for the hurtful things we say and do, even when we think we’re being wise, or doing a kindness.

The space you and your family are holding is sacred. We know that things succeed more often in the Torah than a supposedly “hopeless” hope! I can also vouch for the exhausted, not always helpful things that get said by overtaxed personnel … It’s such a sticky thing. I’m so glad your other half was there to help you navigate that.

I pray for you and your family. I also pray for all of your MDs and residents … They are constantly bombarded with superhuman levels of sadness and joy, and they keep showing up. G-d give them strength, and guide them to do right by you.

And bless the crap out of all of you :)

• … and clearly that was supposed to say, ” We know that few things succeed more often in the Torah than a supposedly hopeless hope.”

132. Angela Welliver says:

I’m proud of you…. you and your husband. Together the two of you stood up for what you believe in even if you got treated badly for it. I know you will be able to feel at peace knowing you are doing everything you can : ) Besides sometimes miracles do happen. I have had some happen for me : ) I will pray for you and your amazing family. I know it’s tough right now, but try to relax as best you can knowing you are already doing everything you can and now it’s time to leave it in God’s hands. And see if you can get some cookies and milk or something : D I think you could use a treat about now. Let them pamper you and enjoy the time resting…with twins…you never know this may be your last chance to prop your feet up! lol Well, I hope you can enjoy a good book, some time with your husband and maybe a nap : ) God bless!

133. I wish you the best! Any mother in her right mind would do what you are doing and I truly hope the twins come through this so they can know how much love their parents already have for them.

Stay strong!
    Sera

134. Tanya H says:

I am friends of your parents and I have been praying for you. I am a part of a group called Babyfit and many of my team mates there are also praying for you. God can work miracles. Keep your faith and stay in prayer and He will do the rest. God bless you!!!!

135. Thank you for ensuring that there are corrections made in this story, thank yous are being put out there and outrage is outrage and sometimes deserved. We can so easily get caught up in the fury and hype of these emotionally charged stories, it is refreshing to see incorrect information being corrected. The reputations of good people are on the line and when someone is working hard to keep your children and you alive, you really want to credit them for that. As a reader, I appreciate you more for that.

We are praying for you and your beautiful twins. As you say so eloquently, whatever the outcome.

136. Have you read this story?

Woman’s water broke at 21 weeks and they were going to deliver her twins but did an ultrasound at the last minute and found that there was more water left than they had thought and the mom was able to carry her twins to 36 weeks. Figured you might want to read about this should something similar be the case for you.

Praying for you!

137. CAROL PRUDEN says:

In 1990 I went into labor at 19 weeks with my twins and spent the next four months bedridden. I was fortunate, or maybe we just valued life more 21 years ago, but every medical professional I came into contact with treated me with respect. Had I been faced with what you have endured, I have to say I would have knocked anyone silly who even suggested my children were not valuable at any point. You are an inspiration and I have a feeling you will be celebrating birthday after birthday with your babies.

138. I found you via the outpouring of prayers and love going out to you and your family on the Twittersphere. Thank you for sharing your story. I never know what to say in these situations, how to make things better. This stuff is just hard and we may never understand why. But know that you are loved, your family is loved, and your two little boys are loved by an awesome Creator with an awesome plan. Praying you can rest in His promises today.

139. I’m praying hard for you and your precious family!

140. Good thoughts and lots of love to you and your family.
    Keep that faith and hope.
    The rest of us in social media land are praying and sending you the very best.
    XO

141. chelsea says:

I want to give you hope…. I ruptured with three pregnancies… all singletons at 16 to 24 wks. Two of those pregnancies ended in very healthy children one born at 32 wks (12 wks in hospital) and one at 34 wks (10 wks in hospital.
    the other baby at 16 wks did not survive…

Every day you make it is another day closer to the goal. The hospital stinks but you can do this…..I will be praying for you and the babies….

142. Diane… My thoughts, prayers and support is 100% behind you and your baby boys! God Bless you and yours!

143. From a woman who only wants to be a mom, thank you for trusting!

144. Hannah says:

Hi!

I read about your story on Live Action News, and was so moved. Your story brings to my mind the story of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego. “Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego replied to him, “King Nebuchadnezzar, we do not need to defend ourselves before you in this matter. If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to deliver us from it, and he will deliver us from Your Majesty’s hand. But even if he does not, we want you to know, Your Majesty, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up.” -Daniel 3:16-18. I just thank Jesus for you and your family, standing there as beacons of light in a dark world. My family will definitely be praying for you and your whole family. Love in Him, Hannah

Trackbacks

1. [...] Diana has written about the experience in her own words HERE. [...]

2. [...] After a groundswell of support and outcry from Twitter this morning, the tide started to turn in this battle she and her husband are waging and Diana responded. [...]

3. [...] the healing hand of the Lord. And their mother needing strength.  If you are the praying sort, meet Diana and her boys…whom she almost lost…and is now fighting to save. Tweet Filed Under: Charlie, our [...]

4. [...] Diana’s blog: No matter how this turns out, no matter what the outcome today, tomorrow, weeks from now, I can [...]

5. [...] it is powerful.  Check out her story.  Last Friday I reeled when I saw Diana’s tweet about her twin boys, and I was riveted by [...]