As a military spouse with a husband who’s been in war, I know that my job is not nearly as difficult as his is. Even now, Sam is in the desert for 5-6 weeks living in tents and eating out of packages (MRE’s) while I’m at home.
However, it warms my heart to know that other people think of us spouses as well. I remember getting a gift basket when Sam was in Iraq filled with treats and cards. It made me feel a little less lonely and isolated, as can happen so often when our other half is gone.
I forgotten all about Military Spouse Appreciation day until AT&T reached out to ask if I’d be willing to write on it (and host the giveaway below!). I know many of us aren’t sure what a military spouse might want/need either on this day or a time of deployment/hardship, so I’m giving you 5 ideas for Military Spouse Appreciation Day based on my own experience and other spouses I’ve met through the years.
- Post a “thinking of you!” on their Facebook wall. It’s simple but meaningful – and if you’re up to it, throw in one of those Starbucks or Barnes and Noble cards that Facebook offers.
- Offer to watch the kids for the afternoon. In a time when most parents without their spouse home don’t get a break, it’s great to have those few hours to get things done or simply lay on the couch and revel in the silence.
- Ask how you can pray for their family and spouse. It means so much to know friends are praying for my husband and family’s well being when we are all apart.
- Head to lunch. Some times getting out of the house is a welcome break in the monotony of the days when no one comes home in the evening to change up the routine.
- Help sort and pack. Many times after the spouse returns home, the family is scheduled to leave soon after. Having some of the basic stuff done and house cleaned is a tremendous help.
Don’t forget that many men are military spouses too! Often their wives leave for extended periods of time and they’re home holding down the fort as well.
Now for the giveaway! Ready to win an AT&T gift basket with an iPad Mini? They are the best of both worlds – like a bigger iPhone and a not so clunky iPad.
Easy entry with Rafflecopter and open worldwide! Additional rules and conditions are below the entries.